Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Year In Review

Abraham Lincoln said, “And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.”

I had a lot of life in 2008. This was probably my best year yet as far as running is concerned. I ran in 19 races and set a new PR in 7 of them:

5 mile – 33:51 RT Turkey Run, Rochester, NY

9 mile – 1:03:22 Resolution Revolution, Indy

15k (road) – 1:03:21 Spring Fling, Plainfield, IN

15k (trail) – 1:07:49 Dino Ft Harrison

marathon – 3:37:36 I Indianapolis Monumental Marathon

3:31:26 CIM, Sacramento, CA

50k – 5:11:24 Another Dam 50, Englewood, OH

Technically I suppose I lowered by PR in the 50k twice if you count the 6:30:34 at Lovin’ The Hills in February. That was only my second 50k and the first was such a disaster it was no feat beating that time. Each trail race is different so comparing times from one event to another is somewhat dubious. Just because the race is called 50k doesn’t mean it’s exactly 50k and total ascent/descent can really throw a wrench into the works. I suppose I could say the same goes for the 15k trail PR. It’s possible the Ft Harrison course is shorter than the others, but I believe I ran very well there, who knows? The only certainty is that I ran the Ft Harrison course faster than last year under slightly worse conditions and I had a better time there than on any other course.

Six of the 19 events were marathon or longer; two marathons, three 50k, and one 50 miler. The 50 miler was my second attempt at the distance and my first finish which was very satisfying; however, I’m going to say the highlight of the year was the La Luz Trail Run in Albuquerque. Sure, it was only 9 miles, but except for about a quarter mile around mile six it was up hill all the way, 4578 feet of ascent.

I’m not a high mileage runner. In 2008 I ran 1,365 miles for a weekly average of 26.25 miles. The highest mileage week was 53.9 miles in week 19 which included the 50 mile trail run. This was my highest mileage week ever and only the second time I’ve ever exceeded 50 miles in a week. The lowest mileage week was zero miles in week 35 which was the week my mother passed away. I don’t know how people run 100 miles a week? I couldn’t do it without causing serious problems in other areas of my life. My wife already thinks that all I do is run. In the last six years I’ve averaged 1049 miles per year so I’m happy if I can manage to run more than 1000 miles during the year. I’ve been able to increase my speed and for the most part remain injury free with low mileage. Lord willing that will continue. The key I think is cross training that includes a lot of core strength work and interval training.

So what are my goals for 2009? Run when I can and have fun doing it, do a sprint triathlon, and run a 100 mile trail ultra. 2008 will be a tough act to follow so this is no time to be resting on laurels. I plan to continue my low mileage training and to focus even more on core strength and with the triathlon looming on the horizon I’ll be spending some time in the pool too.

I’m not going to tell you to have a Happy New Year. Saying have a happy new year to me that sounds as if there is some element of luck to it, that you can only sit back and take what comes hoping it all turns out ok. Instead I’m going to say make it a happy and fruitful New Year!

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain

1 comment:

ed said...

YES, you DEFINITELY had a GREAT year & looks like you're continuing the upswing already this year!

Taking on swimming has always kept me away from triathlons -- I wish you luck on this tough new endeavor!

Hope to see you at McNaughton or Pinhoti this year -- maybe you'll catch the bug . . .