Wednesday, July 8, 2009

I Will Tri

Way back in 1993 I moved from very rural Western New York to Indianapolis, Indiana. I was a little apprehensive about the move but I was also a little excited because I had read in some Triathlon magazine (yes, magazine, this was the dark ages before I did everything on the internet heck I didn’t even own a computer) that there were several triathlons in central Indiana. I had never done a triathlon; although, a year earlier I had done a run, bike, run bi-athlon. Now these events are referred to as duathlons. Well, a mere 16 years later I have finally signed up for my first triathlon, the Indianapolis Sprint Triathlon Series at Eagle Creek Park on July 18th. Nothing too difficult, just a little 500 meter swim, 10 mile bike ride, and 3 mile run. My main goal is to make it out of the water under my own power. If I can do that I think the ride and run will be fun. I’ve done 500 meters non-stop in a pool, but in the open water of a lake with no lane markers and other swimmers kicking me?? Stay tuned…

1 comment:

ed said...

That's the spirit!

The water is what stops many from doing the tri, including myself. You're a brave soul!

I believe I would prefer the lake than the pool -- then I wouldn't notice the zigzagging as much unless I really zigged or zagged!

Just think, now you'll be able to tell all those people who don't know what an ultrarunner is that you're a triathlete -- that just may sink in with them!

Looking forward to hearing about your adventure!!!